6.12.2011

Habbakuk

If you're a member of Bridgeway Church, you probably heard Sam's teaching on Habbakuk a few weeks ago. (if not go here)
If you're a Matt Chandler follower, you may also have heard his sermon on maturity, also focusing on Habbakuk. (if not go here)

Now when was the last time you read/studied/learned from Habbakuk?
For me, I cannot remember. Which is what is beautiful about the bible. It is living and always teaching/speaking truth into your life. Thank you Lord that I will never know it all and that you will continue your work and lessons all of my days, until I meet you face to face. "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." I digress.

Habbakuk 3:17
Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, YET I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the LORD, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places.

Matt Chandler said something that has stayed with me for a week or so now. He tells a story of a woman who has lost her husband and child...and makes this statement...
Without Christ, she can rebuild. But, it will be rickety and she will be nervous the rest of her life that the greatest joys will be taken. If Christ is her greatest joy, then joy can be taken from her, but the greatest joy serves as her foundation and trust can be established

This statement leads me to think on my previous posting on idols. What is my greatest joy?? Is it my family? Is it music and dancing? Is it the new recipe I just made and the friends I'm going to share it with? Surely Christ is in all of these things. But it is not the gift that is my greatest joy, it is the giver! It is Christ! He gives and he takes away. And in a season of giving, may my eyes not become tricked. May I not become seduced to thinking these are my greatest joys. When the fig tree does not blossom, and there is not fruit on the vine, may I YET rejoice and take joy in the God of my salvation.

It makes me think of the song we often sing "It is well with my soul"...do you ever feel a little taste of guilt singing this song when you aren't hurting? I feel like it's unfair for me to sing alongside those who have lost a family member, or a marriage, or have cancer, etc. I continue to sing, but my heart intercedes for the ones around me. I am thankful to learn these lessons now, in preparation for the times when it is painful to sing, and it’s hard to say YET. For I know those times will and do come.

I went to The Autumn Film concert last night. A definite recommendation. I bought the CD and have really enjoyed the song “Mended” – see lyrics below. For the times when the fig tree does not blossom, these words, similar to “It is well with my soul” I feel will be a comfort. If you’re in a season of hurting and healing, put this on repeat.

Mended- The Autumn Film
Safely pin me to your chest, so I can stay close
Please don’t leave me in this mess, this can all be mended
To unraveling...unraveling
Don’t give up on me now, this can all be mended
We can iron this out, this can all be mended
When you’re tearing at the seams, it can all be mended
It can all be mended now
My inner walls are tumbling down, feel it crumble
There’s nothing left to tear down, there’s only gravel
I’m breaking now
I’m breaking down
Don’t give up on me now, this can all be mended
We can iron this out, this can all be mended
When you’re tearing at the seams
When you’re tearing at the seams, it can all be mended
It can all be mended now

1 comment:

Sara said...

Just wanted to say I love you and I love that you're writing again and I'm really glad you're still in my life friend.

p.s. I like the song!