2.03.2009

NUTRITION!!! nutrition.

Alright, you had to have seen it coming sooner or later. It’s what I love..and it’s what I do: dietetics. I am in the business of nourishing bodies. Sounds strange put in those words, and yet I find it a beautiful thing. I get asked by friends/family/someone I just met/my dental hygienist many questions on health and nutrition. Questions range from polyphenols to multivitamins to whether or not 5 pounds of bacon is better than nothing for breakfast. Some of you may have learned not to ask me questions for fear of what you might have to endure for a response…

Anyway, I think I will be writing a few more blogs here and there on different nutrition topics. Something that has come up at work or in a conversation, or just something on my mind. Feel free to ask me a question or request a topic (if you dare..) and I’ll do my best to share my thoughts as an (Almost Registered) Dietitian. Or I can ask one of my several Dietitian mentors.

There are many wonderful things about nutrition. My favorite part of all...is that it affects absolutely everyone. We are all made the same. We need nourishment. We need to provide our bodies with the essentials fuels to operate well (without over-doing it). Everyone could use constant re-evaluation of the care they give their bodies. We never reach a point in which we have everything under control. Today, I could use more vegetables. Yesterday I needed more fiber. Tomorrow I won’t be able to work out. The point is, you need to keep trying. Keep at it. Make goals…check your progress. You know yourself more than anyone. Stop and ask yourself questions about your health and how you are feeling. Are you tired? Are you overeating? Are you overwhelmed with how to stay healthy? Worried about money and convinced you can't eat healthy on a budget?

There are many things that come in the way of caring for our bodies. Guilt is often something people struggle with. Feeling guilty for sitting at home rather than getting outside. Feeling guilty for eating fast food rather than making something at home. Don’t fall victim to feelings of guilt. We all have moments of weakness. Forgive yourself…get up..move on. Think of the things you are doing right. Maybe you drank plenty of water today. Maybe you didn’t eat another cookies even though you really wanted to. If it helps you, look at the small things. Sometimes the big picture can get overwhelming. Just take a step back.

I could go on, in many different directions. This is my passion. But for now I will brush the surface. I believe health is a form of worship to our Father. Fuel your bodies well so you may worship him more fully. Health is a gift, but just as wealth is a gift…use it wisely and be a good steward of what you have been given. The moment your health is gone…you realize what a gift it truly is.

For some reason this became more serious than perhaps I had intended it to be. I guess I just don’t take it that lightly. Hopefully you won’t either. My future blogs dedicated to nutrition and specific topics will be much more informational rather than tied to emotion. (I think.)

Anyway…go eat something good for you. And just in case I don’t say it enough…I miss all my family and friends!!!

6 comments:

luke said...

i'm glad you care so much about nutrition. i really am. hopefully i can glean a little more of that from you, because i really am interested in that stuff.

so,

let's just say what if it was 5 pounds of hamburger? i'm talking lean--none of that horribly unhealthy ground chuck stuff.

Sara said...

How about...what's the biggest misconception people have when it comes to healthy living?

Or what are three steps everyone could take to eating better?

Or what happens to my intestines when I consume caffeine at a rapid rate? (wait...maybe I don't want to know...)

Or tips for eating healthy on a college(ish) budget?

I AM EXCITED!!!

p.s. Two weeks! Also, I have a project for us that weekend. Stay tuned.

suzmoore said...

Would you like to discuss your intense hatred for high fructose corn syrup or perhaps your love of the whole grains? Is red wine really better for you?
There are so many possibilties...

Anonymous said...

Will our resurrected bodies be able to digest bacon?

The prophets hint at a vegetarian diet... but Jesus ate fish with his resurrected body. But he was also a Jew and didn't eat pork.

I want bacon to be a part of my hope for a restored world. What should I do?

Steph... I love you and all of the things that make you who you are... and I miss you a ton. See you soon.

Annie Peterson said...

I would love to read your information! I've just been thinking about needing to eat healthy, and I don't really know where to start!!

kimberly said...

I read the title of this post in "fiddler on the roof" tradition style.